Two very basic habits that deal with confidence are...Eye Contact and Closed Body Language.
Eye contact - Not maintaining eye contact can come across as shy, awkward, not confident and sometimes sketchy depending on the severity.
To help with eye contact, pick a conversation…start with strangers...it can be with a clerk at a store, gas station, fast food…anything. Start with people you don’t know and work your way to co-workers and others who you may deem to be intimidating.
Folded arms are viewed as closed off. When you close yourself off you appear uninterested, so although you may be very interested, you are telling another story (non-verbally).
“Opening up” your body can be very awkward at first, but over time, with practice, will become more natural. If you “open up” and even show your palms it will appear and present confidence. This takes practice, so again, try it with people you don’t know and work your way to co-workers, etc.
Consciously we only catch 5% optically, as our unconscious picks up the other 95%. So, if someone is not maintaining eye contact and/or closes themselves off with body language, our unconscious catches it. This may result in the "gut" feeling that someone is untrustworthy or awkward without you even realizing it. This is one reason why we should trust our gut/intuition as it's usually right...let's say 95% of the time :)
A great way to get you feeling more confident is to use the "Go First" method. I heard about this in Tools of Titans by Tim Ferris. In the book, Gabriella Reese uses this method she calls the Go First method. This is simply saying hi first, smiling first...basically initiating first. We live in this "keep to ourselves", we're too busy to say hi society which results in missed opportunities. I could go on and on about how this method is beneficial, but for this purpose, it will help you get out of your comfort zone, break through barriers, and help you become a more confident YOU.
Make Tomorrow Better than Yesterday by Taking Action Today!